Tuesday, May 11, 2010

pie on a rainy day


While I was driving back in the car to South Bend, I decided that I really needed to make a strawberry rhubarb pie in my sunny kitchen. I would wear a summer dress, ride my bike to the farmers market, bake a pie while listening to andrew bird's bowl of fire, and have the pie cool on the windowsill. May sound ridiculous, but I live for this sort of shit. Well, today ended up being pretty cold and rainy, but I decided I would still make the pie.

Vegan Eggs Benedict!

First I made a vegan eggs benedict for dinner. I mixed olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt and poured that over extra firm tofu, which I then baked for 20 minutes. I also topped the english muffin with tomato, steamed spinach, and a vegan hollandaise sauce. I used this recipe as a base for the sauce, but added a bunch more nutritional yeast, dry mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cornstarch to make it thicker and creamier.


lonely pie in a big oven


the pie other pies pick on



but sarah seems to like it!

After dinner, Sarah came over to help me make a strawberry rhubarb pie. I bought the rhubarb at the farmers market and added strawberries, lemon juice, white sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and some cinnamon. I made the pie crust from a recipe off of chooseveg. I think I should have doubled the crust recipe in order to tame the heinous amount of filling that we made. It was sloppy and sticky - as desserts should be in the summer time.

0 comments: