Monday, May 10, 2010

it's summa time y'all!


Ingredients!

My stove top going CA-RAZY!

Mac and Cheese got a little burned - I always forget about the broiler

Mashed potatoes in the pot I've made mashed potatoes in since I can remember!

BBQ Seitan!

Four corners of absolute goodness!

I've been vegan for over 3 years and I've never made my own seitan from scratch. I mean, it's always been such an intimidating food to me and it has always seemed impossible to cook, and if it were possible, I thought it took like 5 hours to make. Shit, it took me the same amount of time to figure out how to say the damn word, and I'm still not sure if I'm saying it right.

Today was my first official day home in South Bend and I really wanted to cook something good to celebrate my liberation from college. I decided to turn to Beth Bee's Rabbit Food again and attempt to tackle the seitan recipe. It was extremely easy! All of my preconceived notions surrounding seitan disappeared in the matter of minutes it took to make it. While I let it simmer, the best smell ever filled the house, and it reminded me of mac and cheese...so I made mac and cheese too. I used clear creek co-op's recipe again and accompanied this with wonderful mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus. I poured an alabama style bbq sauce, which was made by Helen's mom, over the sauted seitan. Everything turned out really well, but I think I needed to saute the seitan a little longer. It was a still a little moist due to simmering in the broth for 2 hours. I think more sauteing will remedy this, but I'm not sure, I'll have to experiment.

I didn't have enough energy to make a dessert, but you better believe I'm making one tomorrow. Stay tuned.

0 comments: